BBQ TOMATO SAUCEFriday, August 09, 2013
I know you can buy tomato sauce. I know it is very good, don't get me wrong, but if you have a little time I promise you that this tangy tomato sauce will make any BBQ meal that little bit better.
BBQ TOMATO SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon light soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- a few drops of Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon English mustard
- salt and freshly-ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized pan. Add the onion and the garlic and fry over a medium heat for seven to eight minutes, stirring now and then, until the onions are soft and lightly browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and leave the sauce to simmer very gently for ten minutes, giving it a stir every now and then until it has slightly thickened.
- Serve hot or cold- but it really is at its best when hot, smothering a BBQ cooked sausage in a soft white bun!