So in an hour of need I turned to some black looking bananas and an old faithful to brighten my spirit.
There is something quite medicinal about the smell of banana bread baking gently in the oven. It's calming and relaxing, like a big hug from your Mum.
So when the going gets tough bake banana bread, you will feel better I promise!
- 75 g soft unsalted butter
- 110g sugar
- 1 large egg
- 225g All purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 4 medium banana's peeled and mashed (I highly recommend getting a child to do this, such a great kiddy kitchen job)
- 50g chopped walnuts
- Zest of an orange
- Pre heat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Grease and line a 9cm x 19cm loaf tin (Very important to not skip this stage, I learnt the hard way and had to scoop my loaf out once baked!)
- Place the soft butter, eggs and sugar in a bowl and beat till smooth and silky
- Place the flour and baking powder (you should sift the flour to add air, but life's just to busy to do such things in my house!) and beat together.
- Add the mashed bananas and walnuts, mix and scrape into the lined loaf tin. Level the top and place in the oven.
- Bake for 55 minutes till a wooden skewer comes out clean and the top is golden brown
- Cool on a wire rack and serve sliced thickly accompanied by a nice cup of tea. I never add it but it is also very nice spread thickly with good butter.