BANGA CAUDAMonday, August 25, 2014
I will admit that this recipe intrigued me for a long time before I actually made it. It looked amazing but the strong flavour of anchovies paired with so much garlic just felt a little dangerous to make! Well I decided to bite the bullet and make it anyway. Thank goodness I braved it, so delicious and sophisticated and completely addictive. You will find yourself searching out vegetables with the best scoop shape so you can fill them up with this warm golden liquid.
It is also best to note that this is the kind of dip that requires everyone present to be eating it. Garlic breath is only OK when shared by all!
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and microplaned or very finely minced
- 12 anchovies preserved in olive oil, drained and chopped
- 8 tablespoons of butter, cut into chunks
- A variety of raw vegetables, including fennel, cauliflower, endive, sweet peppers, crispy lettuce and courgette (zucchini)
- Put the oil in a pan with the garlic and anchovies and cook over low heat, stirring, until everything has melted together..
- Whisk in 6 tablespoons of butter, and as soon as it has melted, remove from the heat and give a few more beats of your whisk so that everything is creamy and combined.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to mellow the acrid taste of the garlic and stir gentle to melt.
- Pour into a dish that fits over a flame. Light a candle underneath to keep everything warm and delicious.
- Dip in the crudites and eat.