SOCCASunday, August 02, 2015
Summer is here and racing to it's inevitable conclusion faster than I would like. Grab hold of it now and enjoy!
Sit back, soak it up, drink that ice cold chilled wine and feast on Mediterranean delights in the warm afternoon sun;
You can use chickpea flour, labeled as Gram Flour or just whizz up some dried chickpeas in the coffee grinder. I love the coffee grinder method as you get a varied texture of fine and rubble like chickpeas.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 150 g Chickpea Flour (Gram Flour) or grind your own in a coffee grinder
- 300 - 350 ml water (Depending on whether you use flour or home ground chickpeas)
- 2 tsp. sea salt flakes (1 tsp to mix in, 1 to sprinkle on the finished socca)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- Few sprigs of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
WHAT YOU DO
Place the flour, 1 tsp, sea salt, black pepper and rosemary in a bowl and make a well in the centre.
Add water and whisk. Keep adding water till you get a thin, crepe style batter.
Cover and leave for at least an hour.
Pre-heat the oven to 425 F/220 C.
In a 24 cm x 31 cm roasting tin add the olive oil to cover the base. Place the tray in the oven for 5 minutes to heat the oil.
Remove the hot tray and pour in the batter. Swish it around to cover the base of the tray and place it back in the oven for 15 minutes. You are looking for the edges to be golden and the center to be set.
Sprinkle with the remaining salt and serve it ready torn into rough pieces or let your guests greedily attack!
Happy summer eating!