When I think healthy and light food I always go back to my days working in the Thai restaurant. The whole ethos of Thai food is balance, lightness, strong flavours and aromatics. One of the dishes chef always made for me to take home was a Thai Salad. It was a combination of finely shredded vegetables with a punchy dressing that left your mouth tingling after each bite.
I never did get them to tell me that recipe but have tried many variations in my quest to recreate it. This is as close as I have ever been to perfecting what they made me;
SHREDDED THAI SALAD
- In a bowl, combine the chili, garlic, sugar, vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce, oil, onion, coriander, spring onion and black pepper to taste. Put to one side for half an hour.
- Then in a big plate or bowl, mix the cabbage and shredded carrot.
- Pour over the onion-soused dressing and toss very well.
- Taste to see if you need salt or pepper.
- Serve on a flat plate with maybe a bit more coriander chopped on top.