BALANCE: SHREDDED THAI SALADFriday, February 22, 2013
Lately my food and drink has been pretty un-balanced. Too many burgers (all very tasty ones), too much red wine and a few too many bread filled days have left me feeling tired and a little bit, well, blurh! I never noticed this when I was younger- I just ate what I wanted, when I wanted and all was well. Nowadays I can tell if I have been pushing the excess for too many days straight and a few days of getting back to simple, healthy food is just what is needed.
When I think healthy and light food I always go back to my days working in the Thai restaurant. The whole ethos of Thai food is balance, lightness, strong flavours and aromatics. One of the dishes chef always made for me to take home was a Thai Salad. It was a combination of finely shredded vegetables with a punchy dressing that left your mouth tingling after each bite.
I never did get them to tell me that recipe but have tried many variations in my quest to recreate it. This is as close as I have ever been to perfecting what they made me;
SHREDDED THAI SALAD
- In a bowl, combine the chili, garlic, sugar, vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce, oil, onion, coriander, spring onion and black pepper to taste. Put to one side for half an hour.
- Then in a big plate or bowl, mix the cabbage and shredded carrot.
- Pour over the onion-soused dressing and toss very well.
- Taste to see if you need salt or pepper.
- Serve on a flat plate with maybe a bit more coriander chopped on top.