(THE KIDS ARE DRIVING ME) CRACKERS!Friday, July 19, 2013
To avoid the kids driving you crazy during the summer break why not get them working in the kitchen- happy kids, happy Mummy!
This simple little recipe is perfect for little hands as it does not matter how much you work the dough it still cooks great, so let them squash, roll, cut and re-roll as much as they like.
I have an extensive collection of metal cookie cutters. I let the kids pick their chosen weapons and hence we get a very eclectic set of shapes each time;
- 40g Rolled oats
- 95g All purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 0.5 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- 0.5 tsp. salt
- 55g butter, cubed
- 2 tsp. honey
- 60ml buttermilk
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tsp. sesame seeds (or you could use pumpkin, poppy or sunflower)
1. Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.
2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.
3. Let stand for five minute. Use as recipe states.
- Preheat oven to 400 F / 200 C
- Place the oats in a food processor and grind until fine. Tip into a bowl and add flour, bicarb, and salt. Add the butter and rub it in. Stir in the honey and buttermilk and mix to a stiff dough.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and roll out to about 6mm thick. Dip your cutters in a little flour and then cut the dough and place the crackers on a baking tray with a little space around each one.
- Brush each cracker with the beaten egg yolk and sprinkle over the seeds.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy.