Pick ripe, un blemished crab apples and don't spend too much on your vodka. The cheap stuff works great and once it is infused with crab apples and sugar it wont be worth spending more for a good brand.
CRAB APPLE SCHNAPPS
- Wash enough crab apples to fill a large glass jar, remove stalks and cut in half, leaving the skins on. Place in the freezer.
- Once frozen completely (I left mine a couple of days). Place them into the sterilised glass jar with tight-fitting lid.
- Pour over unflavoured vodka and add 1/2 cup of white sugar.
- Each day for 2 weeks, agitate the glass jar to mix the sugar and help the fruit breakdown.
- Let steep for 8-10 weeks or more - in a dark place at room temperature, 18-20°C (64-68°F).
- Strain and filter your infusion into a clean glass bottle or jar with tight-fitting lid.
- Store (age) for a couple of months in a dark place at room temperature before serving