The olives and Feta are sharp and tangy and the roasted red peppers are sweet and smoky and together they make a lovely, light, delicious scone;
3 heaped tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
50g butter, cut in pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
100g char grilled peppers
100g feta cheese, cubed
10 olives, pitted and halved
300ml full fat milk
1 egg, beaten, to glaze
- Heat the oven to 200C/ 390F. Dust a large baking sheet with a little flour.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Rub in the butter with the oil, until the mixture resembles fine crumbs, then add the peppers, cheese and olives.
- Make a well in the centre, pour in the milk and mix with a knife, using a cutting movement, until it becomes a soft ‘stickyish’ dough. Don’t overhandle the dough.
- Flour your hands and the work surface well, and shape the dough into a round, about 3-4cm thick. Cut into eight wedges and place them well apart on the baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg and bake for 15-20 mins until risen, golden and springy to the touch.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cover with a clean tea towel to keep them soft. These are best served warm and buttered. Will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Blog Competition courtesy of and