GLAD FRESH FOOD CHALLENGE: DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES FOR EMERGENCIESMonday, October 06, 2014
I am taking part in the Glad Fresh Food Challenge- two weeks, no fresh food wasted!
Well, when you consider that the typical Canadian Household wastes 13% of all food purchased, resulting in over $725 worth of food items wasted each year it puts the idea of food waste in a whole new light.
Each day this week I will give you my tips on not wasting anything in the kitchen with the help of Glad products. First off lets talk money and chocolate.................
Now it is foolish to think of food waste only in terms of what the fresh stuff we throw into the garbage. It also boils down to the fact that we might as well be throwing money in the garbage too! So saving food and saving money go hand in hand.
So you are driving down the road and the coffee shop is lurking just up ahead. It's only 5 minutes to get home but we stop by the coffee shop anyway. Its been a busy day, you deserve that hot, milky coffee and a large chocolate chip cookie, of course! Well what if I told you that you can have access to fabulous double chocolate chip cookies in under 20 minutes whenever you need one- day or night!!
Meet the Double Chocolate Chip Cookie for Emergencies;
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES FOR EMERGENCIES
- 125g good chocolate
- 150g plain flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 125g soft butter
- 115g soft light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 300g dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 F
- Melt the 125g of chocolate either in microwave or in double boiler. Remove from the heat, set aside and allow to cool for a little.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt- whisking at this stage means there is no need foe sieving (Life is too short to sieve anything!)
- Beat the butter and sugars together until very light and fluffy. Gradually add the melted chocolate and continue beating just to combine everything.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat in the egg.
- Then gently add the dry ingredients and stir in the chocolate chips.
- When the dough has come together scoop up dessert spoon-sized chunks of dough and place them on to two lined baking sheet. One will be going into the oven and one in the freezer for later, so decide how many you want to bake and how many you want to keep for chocolate chip cookie emergency days!
- Bake for oven ready ones for about 16-18 minutes. Leave them cool completely before transferring to wire racks.
- Once the freezer bound cookies are frozen simply transfer into a freezer bag and stash in the freezer. When a chocolate chip cookie emergency arises simply take how many you want to bake from the deep freeze, place on a lined baking sheet and allow to defrost slightly as the oven comes up to temperature. Bake at 320 F for 16-18 minutes. Allow to cool if you can but in times of true emergency just allow to cool enough not to burn your face and enjoy!
NOTE: Just to let you know, I was sent a whole box of Glad goodies to use for the GLAD Fresh Food Challenge. All opinions, dirty work surfaces and children are my own!