BREAD PROJECT: #11 - GINGER AND SULTANA BUN LOAFMonday, March 18, 2013
I paid the price for being complacent in the kitchen with this loaf! Step 1 in the Method states to grease the loaf tin, I forgot (chose to ignore) to do this and as I cursed under my breath, I had to prise the loaf out of the tin only for it's bottom to stick firmly! So instead of a lovely shot of this loaf from all angles you get a top shot- such is my shame!
It was a day for being a rebel in the kitchen and I didn't hand kneed this loaf either. I stuck it all in the Kitchenaid and let Alfie loose on the controls- he loves revving it up to full with flour spraying everywhere and the motor roaring- boys eh!
GINGER AND SULTANA BUN LOAF
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fast action dried yeast
- 450g White All Purpose Flour
- 25g butter
- 25g muscovado sugar (soft brown sugar)
- 300ml warm semi skimmed milk
- 85g sultanas
- 45g finely chopped stem ginger
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- To glaze stem ginger syrup
- Grease a 900g loaf tin
In a large mixing bowl put the flour and rub in the butter. Stir in the sugar, salt, yeast and milk and mix to a soft dough.
- Turn out on to an unfloured work top and knead for about 10 minutes until the dough is soft and smooth. Work in the sultanas, chopped ginger and orange zest in the dough.
- Shape and place in the prepared tin. Cover and prove until doubled in size. In a pre heated oven 200 C/400 F bake for 35 minutes.
Turn out on to a wire rack and brush with ginger syrup and leave to cool.
This loaf tastes great and we are looking forward to toasting the leftovers at breakfast tomorrow- I have convinced the boys that wonky bottom bread tastes way better.....