RATATOUILLE WITH BAKED EGGSThursday, July 10, 2014
I read a lot of blogs and a lot of cookery books that talk about the tricks and tips of how to get kids to eat their vegetables. I get it, kids can be fussy- heck grown up's can be even more fussy! I am very lucky, both of my little boys (the grown up one is getting better!) love their food and eat whatever I place in front to them.
RATATOUILLE WITH BAKED EGGS
INGREDIENTS1 large onion
1 small aubergine (or half a big one, like we did here!)
1 large red pepper (or a couple of smaller ones- we used red and orange)
3-4 tbsp olive oil
sea salt and pepper
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
200g crushed tomato
4 large eggs
METHODPre heat oven to 180 C/350 F
- Peel & chop the onion, dice the courgette, trim and chop the aubergine, de-seed and chop the pepper and peel and mince the garlic- keep everything separate as they need to hit the pan at different times. Everything should be a small dice of even size.
- Put a large non-stick pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. When hot, add the onion and a little salt and pepper and gently fry for about 2 minutes, keep the onions moving in the pan so they don't colour.
- Add the aubergine, peppers, and garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the courgette and fry for another minute or two, keep everything moving in the pan.
- Sprinkle over the spices and tip in the tomatoes, add a little water to loosen the ratatouille. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Using 4 oven proof dishes, divide the ratatouille into the dishes. Make a small indent in the centre of each and crack an egg into it. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over each egg.
- Place the dishes in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny in the middle.