- 50g unsalted butter
- 225g all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 30g sugar
- 50g raisins or sultanas or glace cherries
- 150 ml milk
- 1 egg beaten with a little milk
- Heat the oven to 400F/205C/Gas 6
- Generously grease a baking sheet with butter then sprinkle with flour.
- In a large bowl add the flour, cubed butter, baking powder and salt. Quickly rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and the fruits, mix well.
- Make a well in the center and using a butter knife, stir in enough milk to make a soft dough.If the dough is too sticky sprinkle with a little flour.
- Turn the mixture on to a floured board and knead very lightly until just smooth then lightly roll out to 2cm thick.
- Cut rounds with a 7.5cm /2" cutter or cut into triangles with a sharp knife. You should get about 8.
- Place on the baking tray and brush with the beaten egg and milk mixture. Bake near the top of the hot oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and well risen.
- Cool on a wire rack before eating.
Serve with butter, or lashings of jam and cream.