BREAD PROJECT: #1- HONEY AND OAT BREADTuesday, January 08, 2013
To start off my baking 52 breads in 2013 Project #1 is a simple breakfast inspired bread.
HONEY AND OAT BREAD
350g white bread flour
80g medium oatmeal
50g rolled oats
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp fast action dried yeast
3 tablespoons of runny honey
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
225-250ml warm semi-skimmed milk, plus extra to glaze
1. Grease a 900g loaf tin and sprinkle lightly with a little oatmeal.
2. Combine the flour, oatmeal, oats, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the honey, oil and warm milk. Mix to a soft dough.
3. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes until smooth.
4. Shape into an oblong and place into the oiled tin. Brush the top with milk and sprinkle with a few oats. Cover and prove (leave in a warm place, if you are unfamiliar with the term prove) and leave until doubled in size (took about an hour in my house)
5. Pre-heat the oven to 425 F/220 C.
6. Bake for about 30 minutes until golden. Remove from tin and cool on a wire rack.
We finished it off at lunch, toasted with fat squadges of honey.
It was delicious!
Recipe taken from Womens' Institute: Bread