- 450g white bread flour
- Semolina for sprinkling
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp crushed black peppercorns
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 3/4 tsp fast-action dried yeast
- 250–275ml/9-10fl oz warm water
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin Olive oil
- Grease two large baking trays with a little oil and dust with semolina.
- Put the flour, yeast, salt and pepper into a large bowl and add the water and oil to make a soft but not sticky dough. Knead well for 10 minutes by hand on a lightly floured work surface.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions. Roll the portions into balls, then place each ball on a floured surface and roll into a long sausage shape about 25cm x 2cm.
- Place the bread sticks on the prepared baking trays, spacing them 4cm apart. Cover and leave in a warm place until the bread sticks have almost doubled in size. (This took about an hour
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the bread sticks are lightly golden-brown and feel firm to the touch. Remove the bread sticks from the oven and leave to cool on the baking trays.